Tuesday, April 23, 2013

TSA Leaders Propose Lift of Ban?


Guideline for acceptable knives.

So the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is considering letting travelers  bring small knives back on planes.  Along with knives they're also considering allowing individuals to carry golf clubs and better yet baseball bats on planes!  Who thinks this is a good idea?  Now I realize that the TSA has a very important job in securing flights but, really?  Baseball bats?
  
I've never really had a problem with the TSA.  The times I've flown lines have been relatively long but nothing too unbearable considering the options.  The first time that I ever dealt with TSA was when I flew from New York to Iraq.  We were informed that we had to secure our weapons, which we're carrying on the plane heading to war, by putting a zip tie through the chamber and magazine well.  This made perfect sense to me as I'm sure that no one on the flight had a knife.  The zip ties could easily be cut off but, I am pretty sure that no soldier on that plane was looking to hijack the flight.  It was just a formality I understand but, it was still pretty humorous. But, as I said, I never really had an issue with TSA.  I realize that they have a job to do and regulations are regulations. 

Now some brainiac, in office no doubt, has chosen to look at the policy which listed prohibited items and make some changes.  I certainly understand policies can change from time to time as needed but, allowing knives, regardless of the size, or baseball bats back on the plane is ridiculous!  They state that allowing passengers to carry these items will free up resources to deal with greater threats.  Really?  I didn't realize that it took so much time, energy and resources to identify a person carrying a bat!  This is where individuals in charge really need to look at how these decisions are made.  Better yet, maybe we should take a look at how these individuals making these decisions got it into those positions in the first place.
  
I can't fathom for the life of me how anyone would want or need to bring a baseball bat onto an airplane.  Now, I understand individuals in the past have brought some odd  objects into a plane but, I don't think I've ever seen anyone carry a baseball bat or a golf club into the cabin of the plane.  I have seen golf clubs as checked baggage which is perfectly fine.  But anyone who would bring a golf club onto a plane just makes no sense to me and if I saw an individual with a baseball bat on the plane, I would certainly be cautious.  Just saying.

Well I guess if they are going to allow baseball bats on the plane they will also have to allow cricket bats, golf clubs, hockey sticks, tire irons, hammers, and I guess if you're allowing knives you're going to have to allow screwdrivers and ice picks.  You never know when you'll need to break up your ice for your drink.  Where does it stop? And I don't mean the list of items.  I mean where does one's commonsense stop that makes them even consider that it might be a good idea to bring a knife or a baseball bat onto a plane?  Ridiculousness at its best.  GO TSA!

No comments:

Post a Comment